Top 5 Questions About A Portable Office Building ANSWERED
1. How much does a portable office cost?
The level of customization, structure type, and complexity of a custom building project is what drives the price for a portable office building.
Cost to lease
For a standard temporary modular office building, lease rates generally run anywhere from $1 to $1.50 per square foot per month. The lease term length and building size will be the primary drivers of your specific monthly rate.
NOTE: A longer term length will require a lower monthly payment. Leases can be renewed for periods beyond the initial term.
Cost to purchase
Sale prices for new V-B type standard temporary modular buildings generally range between $50 and $100 per square foot, not including site-work, delivery, and installation. Each modular building has its own set of specifications so it is important to understand that these ranges are for a general frame of reference.
NOTE: Pricing beyond the building could include site-work, foundations, delivery, installation, access systems, utility runs, and potentially much more. Every job site and project is different, so pricing can vary widely.
2. What is the useful life of a temporary office building?
Assuming proper maintenance, temporary modular buildings can have a useful life of between 20 and 30 years. The limit on useful life primarily has to do with the fact that these buildings are set up, disassembled, and relocated numerous times to different locations throughout this time.
3. How long does it take to get a relocatable office building?
Every modular building project will vary, but generally the time frame from start to completion of construction is roughly 8-20 weeks. By purchasing or leasing a used modular office building you may be able to cut this time frame in half.
NOTE: Generally the building construction and installation go quickly, but the design of the building (for custom buildings) and permitting of the project can slow your project substantially. The summer is a very busy time for portable office building installations which can affect your anticipated schedule.
4. Is it better to lease or purchase a modular office building?
The answer to this question really depends on your organization’s need and priorities. Here are reasons why our clients typically lease or purchase buildings.
Reasons to lease
- Temporary need with an adequately defined end date
- Want a low monthly payment to help contain upfront capital expenditures
- Don’t want to borrow from a financial institution
- Don’t want to own the building
- Want big ticket items such as mechanical components and large maintenance items to be covered while the building is being leased
NOTE: When you lease a modular building, you need to anticipate that there will be charges for the building to be disassembled and removed from your property at the end of your lease.
Reasons to purchase
- Plan to use the building for a very long time
- Want a custom design, materials, and features
- Want ownership of the building and its equity rather than making a lease payment to use the building
NOTE: A one year warranty typically comes with your new modular building.
5. Can a portable offices be customized?
Yes, portable office buildings can be designed and built to your exact specifications. Layout, mechanical components, material selections, and aesthetic feature options are seemingly endless.
Note: Typically heavily customized portable office buildings can only be purchased, not leased. If the ceiling height you need exceeds 8 or 9 feet, it may not be cost effective for you to select modular construction.
More Questions? These links might provide just the information you need to get your questions answered.