Today’s modular building systems offer high quality, environmentally responsible construction, along with impressive efficiencies resulting in tighter project schedules ultimately leading to faster occupancy. Most people recognize modular buildings as portable structures that are quickly installed for temporary purposes to alleviate overcrowded space or as swing space during construction. What many do not realize is that prefabricated building designs are also used to build many remarkable permanent structures that incorporate complete customization with modular building construction to satisfy the strict requirements of each project owner in less time.
Here are a few brief questions to ask yourself as you contemplate whether permanent vs temporary modular building is the best solution for your construction space need.
- Our temporary modular buildings are built for durability and, if they are maintained properly, will have a useful life similar to that of a conventional home. It is important to note that the relocatable nature of a building, making it “temporary,” has a lot more to do with the permanence of the foundation and how the building is affixed to it than the design of the actual building structure itself.
- Permanent modular buildings are installed on and fastened to a foundation with the intention of lasting well into the future
How soon do you need the space?
- Temporary modular buildings can be on site and ready for occupancy in as little as 30 days from contract
- Permanent modular construction may require 4 months or more from contract depending on the scope of work
How long will you need the structure?
- Temporary modular buildings are often used for a shorter duration (a few years) because of their relocatable nature.
- Permanent modular construction is installed for long-term use (decades), the same as any conventional building.
What construction material do you prefer or require?
- Temporary modular building plans are predominantly wood-based
- Permanent modular construction utilizes concrete and steel or wood framing
Do you want to lease or purchase the modular building?
- Temporary modular units can be rented / leased, finance leased (lease-to-own), or purchased outright
- Permanent modular buildings are purchased
Is the modular building an addition to an existing structure?
- Temporary modular buildings would not typically be directly connected to your existing structure but may have canopies or other roof coverings filling the space between
- Permanent modular buildings can be built to connect seamlessly with your existing structure matching the façade and other structural and technological details of your current building
Do you have additional questions on whether permanent vs temporary modular buildings are right for your expansion project? Contact your modular building specialist in your area for answers to your important questions.